Wednesday 1 July 2009

Mortensen's Law of Maximum Ambiguity

I'm taking a break from writing a large report for Analysys Mason: "Service Fulfillment Market 2008 to 2013." So I thought I would share something I've quoted occasionally to my friends - a "law" of nature that has some remarkable predictive abilities. I've somewhat immodestly named it "Mortensen's Law of Maximum Ambiguity " (been searching for a pithier name - any ideas?).

MORTENSEN'S LAW OF MAXIMUM AMBIGUITY
In any situation, what will happen next is whatever will leave you maximally confused as to what the best course of action is.

Simple example:
You know that if "A" happens, you know you should do "Z." If "B" happens, then "Y."
What will happen will be a strange admixture of "A," "B," and "C" (maybe something you did not even think of) in precisely the combination that leaves you the most confused as to what is best to do next.

Try this out and see if you agree - many have reported that its predictive powers are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment